Are you in search of the perfect dessert for St. Patrick’s Day or any special occasion? Look no further because this Irish Potatoes (Candy Potatoes) recipe is an absolute hit! These delectable bite-sized candies are made with mashed potatoes, cream cheese, and coconut, rolled in ground cinnamon to give them a unique flavor and texture that melts in your mouth.
Irish potato candy is a traditional candy that has been loved by people for generations. Originally a typical dessert in Pennsylvania Dutch country, Irish potatoes are now popular across the United States, particularly during St. Patrick’s Day celebrations. It’s become such a phenomenon that it’s undoubtedly difficult to escape the taste sensation that’s sweeping the nation.
This recipe goes beyond the traditional Irish potato candy and brings your taste buds on an adventure of flavors by incorporating coconut cream cheese and vanilla extract into the mix creating a creamy center that is unbeatable! The rich blend of flavors makes it irresistible for anyone who loves satisfying desserts.
Whether you’re looking for something to satisfy your sweet tooth or just want a unique twist on a traditional favorite, this Irish Potato Candy recipe is worth giving a try! So go ahead and indulge in something super Irish!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Attention, fellow dessert lovers! I’m here to introduce you to a delicious candy recipe that will leave your taste buds in awe. Say hello to the traditional Irish Potato Candy, also known as Sweet Irish Potatoes. This recipe is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day or any day when you crave something sweet and nutty. Trust me; this recipe will become your new favorite.
The Irish Potato candy features cinnamon and coconut cream cheese that gives it an extraordinary flavor. The mixture of creamy center and rolled ground cinnamon and shredded coconut successfully replicates the look of small potatoes, making it a fantastic treat for kids and adults alike. One bite, and you might just find yourself transported to Dublin!
Unlike most recipes that require fancy equipment or hard-to-get ingredients, the Irish Potato Candy recipe is simple and easy to prepare with common pantry items such as butter, powdered sugar, cream cheese, vanilla extract and shredded coconut. Furthermore, you can experiment with flavors by adding chocolate or peanut butter to make it uniquely yours.
Whether you’re celebrating St. Patrick’s Day or not, this recipe is worth trying for its authentic Irish taste that reminds us of our heritage. Not only does it add a little sweetness to your life, but it’s also a great conversation starter with friends and family. So put on your apron and let’s start cooking! Trust me; this candy makes the ultimate indulgence this season!
Below is a list of the ingredients you will need to make Irish Potatoes (Candy Potatoes):
For the Cream Cheese Coconut Filling:
- 4 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 4 cups of confectioners sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded coconut
For the Rolled Cinnamon Coating:
- 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/8 cup of powdered sugar
Using Philly Style Irish potato candy recipe ingredients, these little potatoes rolled in ground cinnamon and powdered sugar have a creamy center that look like bite-sized candy potatoes. They may not be made with actual potatoes but they are super Irish.
Note: If you prefer dairy-free, use vegan cream cheese instead.
The Recipe How-To
Now, the fun begins! Brace yourself to take an exciting culinary journey with me as we walk through the process of making these mouth-watering Irish Potatoes. Trust me, this is one recipe that you’ll want to make repeatedly when you taste its amazing flavors.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
## Ingredient Preparation
- Start by washing, peeling, and boiling six small potatoes (about the size of golf balls) in lightly salted water until they’re soft.
- Mash the potatoes while still hot and add four ounces of softened cream cheese, a stick of softened unsalted butter, half teaspoon of vanilla extract and continue mixing until you have a smooth mixture.
- Combine two cups of powdered sugar, one cup of shredded coconut, one tablespoon of ground cinnamon, and add the mixture to the potato blend gradually, beating after each addition.
- Keep some powdered sugar close in case you need more to adjust the consistency.
## Shaping Your Irish Potatoes
- Take a little amount of the potato blend roughly the size of a walnut and roll it into a ball.
- After rolling all your little potatoes, roll each bite-sized ball in ground cinnamon, and shake off excess.
- The candies should be similar in size, about one inch or smaller, looking like tiny potatoes.
- Set aside for approximately five minutes to dry slightly.
- Mix three tablespoons of coconut cream with two cups of powdered sugar and roll each little potato into it to give it a creamy center look like real miniature potatoes.
## Rolling Ground Cinnamon
– Pour some ground cinnamon into a small bowl or plate.
– Roll each bite-sized ball in ground cinnamon, shake off any excess.
Congratulations! We’ve made ourselves some Irish Potatoes! I bet you can hardly wait to taste one of these delicious candy treats. Now let’s take a look at the Substitutions and Variations section.
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to making Irish Potatoes, there are a few substitutions and variations that can be made to cater to different tastes and dietary preferences. Here are some options you might consider:
– Dairy-free: If you’re dairy intolerant or vegan, replace the cream cheese and butter with dairy-free alternatives. You can use vegan cream cheese and plant-based butter to get the same creamy texture.
– Chocolate peanut butter: If you’re a chocolate lover, try drizzling melted chocolate on top of the candies or folding in some mini chocolate chips into the mixture. Alternatively, add a scoop of peanut butter into the ingredients to give your Irish potatoes a nutty flavor.
– Old-fashioned potato candy: If you want an even more traditional Irish experience, try making old-fashioned potato candy. This includes mashed potatoes with vanilla extract, mixed with powdered sugar and rolled into bite-sized pieces. They look like tiny potatoes and are perfect for St. Patrick’s Day!
– Philly-style: If you prefer your Irish Potatoes extra creamy, try using Philly-style cream cheese instead of regular cream cheese. This will give your candies a smoother texture and tangy taste.
– Coconut-free: If you’re not a fan of coconut, simply omit it from the ingredients list. The coconut is used as a coating on the outside of the candies, so if you remove it, your Irish Potatoes will have a smoother texture.
These variations ensure that everyone can enjoy this delicious candy recipe in their own way. Don’t be afraid to get creative and add your own personal touches!
Serving and Pairing
Now that you’ve made these sweet little bites of heaven, it’s time to think about how to serve and pair them. I recommend serving Irish Potatoes as a dessert or as an after-dinner treat. These bite-sized pieces are perfect for passing around and sharing with your friends and family.
You can also put them in a small decorative bowl or stand-alone dish as part of a dessert table at special events or celebrations like St. Patrick’s Day. Irish Potatoes make an excellent addition to any candy buffet, and their distinctive look will ensure they get noticed.
Since these candies are sweet, pairing them with a beverage that isn’t too sweet will help balance things out. You can drink hot tea, coffee, or even whiskey, which is a popular drink in Ireland.
If you want to mix things up, try dipping the potatoes in dark chocolate or adding peanut butter to the mixture while making the candy. A dairy-free option is also possible by using dairy-free cream cheese and butter.
Irish Potatoes are a traditional Irish candy made for St. Patrick’s Day, but that doesn’t mean they’re only good during March! You can enjoy these delicious treats all year round!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
When it comes to make-ahead options for Irish potatoes, you’re in luck! These delectable little bites can certainly be made in advance, making them a perfect choice for your next gathering or potluck.
To make these ahead of time, simply prepare the recipe according to instructions, but instead of serving immediately, store the potatoes in an airtight container and keep refrigerated until ready to serve. They can also be kept in the freezer for up to one month.
If you are going to freeze them, it’s best to layer them with wax paper so they don’t stick together. When you’re ready to serve them, just let them defrost at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before serving.
When it comes to reheating your Irish potatoes, you have a few options. You can either heat them up in the microwave for 30 seconds or so, or warm them up in the oven at around 300°F for 5-10 minutes. Be careful not to overheat them, as this will cause the creamy center to melt and ooze out.
Irish potatoes are also great for gifting as they store well and look adorable enough to make anyone’s mouth water. You can pack them up into a cute tin or box and bring them over as a charming little gift that’s sure to delight any recipient.
Whether you’re making these potatoes ahead of time or storing leftovers for later, there’s no doubt about their ability to maintain their irresistible flavor and texture over time. So be sure to save some for later!
Tips for Perfect Results
As a seasoned chef who has worked with complex and simple recipes, I can say that perfecting any dish is an art that requires both patience and precision. When it comes to Irish Potatoes, the recipe is quite easy to follow, but there are some tricks to getting the perfect results. Here are some tips that will help you create the best version of Irish Potatoes candy.
Firstly, when making the creamy center filling for the Irish potatoes candy, ensure that the cream cheese and butter are fully softened at room temperature. Softened cream cheese and butter blend together more smoothly, creating a creamy texture that makes the candy irresistible. When using unsoftened cheese, it may have lumps that won’t combine well with other ingredients.
Secondly, it’s important to use a reliable brand of powdered sugar. Some off-brands or generic products may have coarse grains or impurities that can make your filling grainy instead of creamy. It’s advisable to use confectioners’ sugar as they dissolve better and blend thoroughly.
Thirdly, roll the prepared center filling into bite-sized potato-shaped forms before dusting them with ground cinnamon powder mixed with shredded coconut flakes. The best way to achieve a potato-like shape is by creating an indent in the center with your finger or a toothpick. Then sculpt it into the shape you desire while chilling them in the freezer for 10 minutes.
Fourthly, if you prefer dairy-free options, use vegan cream cheese instead of traditional cream cheese, and substitute unsalted butter with plant-based butter like almond oil spread. For an added unique flavor, top it off by dipping the chilled candies into melted vegan chocolate chips or peanut butter.
Lastly, if you plan on putting up this recipe on display for guests at your upcoming event or gathering, try placing them onto decorative toothpicks such as shamrocks or glitter-infused plain wooden sticks.
In conclusion, these tips will surely help ensure that your Irish potatoes candy comes out perfectly every time. With a few adjustments and some creativity, you can make this traditional recipe your own and impress all of your foodie friends with what will surely become one of their new favourite treats!
As with any recipe, you may have questions about the process or ingredients. Don’t worry! I’ve answered some of the most frequently asked questions about this Irish Potatoes (Candy Potatoes) Recipe to ensure you get perfect results every time. Let’s dive in!
What is Irish potato candy made of?
Irish potato candy is a delightful delicacy comprising softened butter, cream cheese, confectioners powdered sugar, shredded coconut and vanilla. To give the candy a unique appearance like little potatoes, they are rolled in ground cinnamon.
Are Irish potatoes considered candy?
Looking for a delicious and simple treat to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? Look no further than Irish Potatoes! These no-cook candies are made with cinnamon, coconut, and cream cheese, making them a perfect option for both kids and adults. Plus, they make for great gifts, or even an indulgent snack to enjoy on your own. Just be warned – they’re incredibly addicting!
What are the ingredients in Oh Ryan’s Irish potatoes?
For this recipe, we will need sugar, coconut without sodium metabisulfite, corn syrup, dairy butter, tapioca starch, egg whites, invert sugar, coconut and vanilla flavoring, citric acid, and cinnamon.
Why is the candy called Irish potato?
The origins of Irish potato candy can be linked to Irish immigrants who migrated to the United States since its inception. It is speculated that even William Penn, who had Irish ancestry, turned to Quakerism during his time in Ireland.
In conclusion, these Irish Potatoes candy are a must-have for any traditional St. Patrick’s Day celebration. This candy recipe features the irresistible combination of cinnamon, cream cheese, and coconut that make it simply irresistible. The creamy center of this dessert is the perfect blend of flavors that will keep you coming back for more.
By following my tips and recommendations in this article, you can make a flawless and super Irish potato candy that looks like little potatoes rolled in ground cinnamon. These candies are not only delicious but also fun to make with kids, making them a fantastic dessert choice for your next family gathering or holiday party.
For those with dietary restrictions, you can easily modify this recipe to be dairy-free or swap out ingredients like coconut or shredded coconut with chocolate or peanut butter. Moreover, this recipe’s versatility allows for improvisation and experimentation to create a unique twist on the traditional Irish Potato.
So don’t hesitate to try out this recipe at home and delight your guests with the best Irish Potatoes candy they have ever had. The taste, texture and presentation of this dessert will surely wow everyone around you, leaving them begging for more. Make your St. Patrick’s Day unforgettable with these delectable treats!
Irish Potatoes (Candy Potatoes) Recipe
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar (1 box)
- 1 dash salt
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- Mix all the ingredients except cinnamon together with a fork. Refrigerate 1 hour to harden a little so that it's easier to handle.
- Form into oval balls about the size of a shelled brazil nut. Roll in cinnamon and refrigerate. Try not to eat them all while your making them!
- Don't leave them out of the refrigerator for too much more than an hour because the cream cheese will start to weep into the pretty cinnamon coating.
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Brian is a British chef cum food blogger who has been in the kitchen since he was a young lad. Growing up in Manchester, he developed a passion for cooking and a keen eye for the perfect dish. He now runs his own blog and YouTube channel, which is dedicated to sharing his passion for food with the world.