Welcome to my seriously strong Scottish cheese scones recipe, a dish that will transport you directly to Scotland with every savory bite. Few things can beat the satisfying crunch of a freshly-baked scone, and these cheese scones are no exception. Made with only the best ingredients, including Scottish seriously strong cheddar cheese and a pinch of cayenne pepper for an added depth of flavor, this recipe is sure to tantalize your taste buds.
Scones are a British staple, served traditionally with tea or coffee as a perfect snack or breakfast food. They come in many flavors, but my seriously strong Scottish cheese scones are particularly special. They combine the classic fluffiness of a scone with the creamy richness of mature cheddar cheese for the ultimate flavor experience.
As a chef specializing in British cuisine, I have always been drawn to traditional Scottish recipes that showcase the quality ingredients the country has to offer. With my seriously strong Scottish cheese scones recipe, I hope to introduce you to one of Scotland’s tastiest offerings and inspire you to try even more Scottish dishes.
So get ready to be whisked away to Scotland as we embark on this delicious culinary journey together with my seriously strong Scottish cheese scones recipe.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
When it comes to comfort food, few things are more satisfying than biting into a warm, fluffy cheese scone with a seriously strong Scottish twist. And that’s exactly what you’ll get with this recipe.
What sets it apart from other scones recipes is the use of seriously strong cheddar cheese, which gives it an indulgent, full-bodied flavor that will have your taste buds dancing with joy. But don’t just take our word for it – try them out for yourself and see why this recipe has become a must-have in many households.
And if you’re worried about how difficult they might be to make, don’t be. This recipe is easy to follow and comes together quickly, making it a great option for anyone looking to add variety and flavor to their baking routine.
So whether you’re a seasoned baker or just starting out, this seriously strong Scottish cheese scones recipe is the perfect way to indulge in some savory goodness that will make your taste buds sing. Plus, once you taste the magic of these scones, you’ll never look at another ordinary cheese scone in the same way again!
Here is the list of Seriously Strong Scottish Cheese Scones Recipe ingredients you’ll need to gather before starting:
- Self-raising Flour: Two cups of self-raising flour are essential for this scone recipe as it makes them soft and fluffy.
- Baking Powder: Baking powder helps the scones with rising while baking. One teaspoon of baking powder is required for this recipe.
- Salted Butter: You will need four tablespoons of salted butter cut into small cubes at room temperature.
- Mustard Powder: Mustard powder is an optional ingredient, but it adds a tangy flavor to the scones. One-fourth teaspoon should be enough.
- Salt: To enhance the flavor of the scones, half a teaspoon of salt is added to the recipe.
- Cayenne Pepper: A pinch of cayenne pepper adds a mild heat to our savory scones, which complements sharp cheddar cheese perfectly. Use 1/8 teaspoon for a mild heat, or adjust it to your liking.
- Egg: One egg is required to brush on top of the scones before baking, giving them a golden color.
- Whole Milk: Two-thirds cup of whole milk is needed for the dough formation.
- Cheddar Cheese: 4 ounces (113g) mature cheddar preferred but can substitute with any cheese you have on hand. It’s recommended to use Scottish Seriously strong cheddar cheese or even Mull of Kintyre’s cheese for an authentic Scottish twist!
- Extra Cheddar Cheese: Additional shredded cheddar cheese is used to sprinkle on top of our scone dough before baking for an extra boost of cheesy goodness!
- Flour (plus Extra): A tablespoon extra flour would be useful in dusty work surfaces and hands during the process.
Make sure you have all these ingredients on hand and be prepared to get your hands dirty!
The Recipe How-To
Step 1: Preheat your oven
Preheat your oven to 180C fan/200C/gas 6, and make sure your baking tray is dusted with flour.
Step 2: Mix ingredients together
Pour 2 cups of self-raising flour into a mixing bowl, add 1 tsp of baking powder, ½ tsp of salt, ½ tsp of cayenne pepper, and 1 tsp of mustard powder. Add 4 ounces of seriously strong Scottish cheese and mix thoroughly.
Step 3: Add butter and egg
Next, cut up 4 ounces of salted butter into small chunks and with your fingers mix it in until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Now whisk an egg in a separate bowl, add a splash of whole milk and stir.
Step 4: Mix everything together
Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl and mix till it forms a soft dough.
Step 5: Roll Out Dough
Sprinkle flour onto your work surface to avoid sticking and lightly knead the dough for about 1 minute, then roll it out into a circle shape with a height of about an inch.
Step 6: Cut Out Shapes
Take your cookie cutter or knife and cut out as many scones from the dough as possible, about four to six depending on size. Make sure to press down firmly but don’t twist the cutter around when cutting; this can cause unevenly rise scones.
Step 7: Bake The Scones
Brush the tops of each scone with some milk that you mixed earlier. Then sprinkle some grated cheddar cheese on each scone. This will give them that extra-cheesy aroma when baking.
Bake them in the preheated oven for about 15 – 20 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
Step 8: Serve
Take the scones out of the oven and let them cool on a wire rack. Once they have cooled slightly, slice them open from the middle and generously spread some unsalted butter between each half. These Seriously Strong Scottish Cheese Scones are best served warm with a hot cup of tea or coffee.
Enjoy your baking!
Substitutions and Variations
If you want to add a little more personality and flavor to your Seriously Strong Scottish Cheese Scones, there’s no shortage of substitutions and variations that you can try. Here are some of my top suggestions:
– Bacon Cheddar Scones: Add cooked bacon bits into the mix before folding in the cheese for an extra savory twist.
– Garlic Scones: Mix in 1/2 tsp garlic powder with the flour to give your scones a hint of garlic flavor.
– Gluten-Free Cheese Scones: Swap out the self-raising flour for gluten-free self-raising flour.
– Mary Berry Cheese Scones: If you’re a fan of Mary Berry’s classic cheese scone recipe, replace the Seriously Strong Scottish Cheese with mature cheddar cheese instead.
– Chive Scones: These make for great additions to brunch menus. Add some chopped fresh chives into the mix for a pop of color and added oniony flavor.
– Scottish Seriously Strong Mull of Kintyre Cheese: This cheese is a perfect substitute if you can’t get your hands on Seriously Strong Scottish Cheese. It has a deep and complex flavor that will still give your scones that signature Scottish taste.
Remember, experimenting with different ingredients can be fun, but don’t go too crazy or you might end up with a totally different dish!
Serving and Pairing
Now that you’ve successfully baked these seriously strong Scottish cheese scones, it’s time to serve and enjoy them! These savory scones are perfect as a snack or side dish, and they can also be served as part of a larger meal.
Serve the scones warm and fresh out of the oven with a dollop of salted butter. The combination of fluffy cheese scones with melting butter is simply divine. You can also try making garlic scones by adding some minced garlic to the butter before spreading it on the scones.
Another great way to serve these cheese scones is by pairing them with your favorite soup, salad, or stew. They’re especially delicious alongside tomato soup or a hearty beef stew. The strong Scottish cheese flavor pairs well with bold flavors, so don’t be afraid to experiment.
If you’re looking for a more substantial meal, you can use these scones as the base for a sandwich. Try making a bacon cheddar scone sandwich by combining crispy bacon and sharp cheddar cheese between two fluffy scones. It’s an easy, cheesy lunch that will satisfy any craving.
For a classic British afternoon tea experience, pair these cheese scones with some clotted cream and strawberry jam. This combination is a favorite of Mary Berry, an iconic figure in British baking.
No matter how you choose to serve these seriously strong Scottish cheese scones, they’re sure to be a hit. So go ahead and eat scones like a Brit – you won’t regret it!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
As a busy chef, I know that being able to make-ahead, store, and reheat any recipe can save you tons of time in the long run. That’s why I’m excited to share with you my tips for making these Seriously Strong Scottish Cheese Scones ahead of time.
To make-ahead, you can prepare the scone dough up to 1 day in advance and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap before placing it in the refrigerator. The chilled dough will keep perfectly fine overnight and actually enhances the flavors.
When it comes to storing your freshly baked scones, I recommend placing them in an airtight container or resealable bag. The cheese scones will remain fresh for up to 3 days when placed at room temperature.
As for reheating, I suggest warming up the scones in an oven preheated to 350°F for approximately 5-7 minutes or until heated all the way through. You could also pop the cold scones in a toaster or microwave but I love using the oven as it gives a crisp exterior and a warm fluffy interior.
Don’t forget that these seriously strong Scottish cheese scones are also delicious when eaten cold or at room temperature. So no harm done if you can’t muster to reheat them!
Tips for Perfect Results
As a chef, I know how small details can make a big difference in the outcome of a recipe. Here are my top tips to make sure your Seriously Strong Scottish Cheese Scones turn out perfectly:
1. Use seriously strong cheddar cheese.
The key to these scones is the use of bold, mature cheddar cheese. Look for a vintage or aged variety – the stronger the flavor, the better these scones will taste.
2. Keep your ingredients cold.
Like with most traditional scone recipes, it’s important to keep your ingredients as cold as possible before mixing them together. This ensures that the butter doesn’t melt too quickly and keeps the dough light and fluffy.
3. Don’t overwork the dough.
When you’re mixing together the dough, be careful not to knead it too much or overwork it. This can lead to tough, dense scones instead of light and fluffy ones. Just mix until all of the ingredients are combined and then shape the dough into rounds.
4. Experiment with different mix-ins.
While seriously strong cheddar cheese is the star of this recipe, feel free to experiment with different mix-ins like cooked bacon or chopped chives for a savory twist. You could even try adding in some cayenne pepper or mustard powder for a bit of heat.
5. Use a sharp cutter.
When cutting out your scone rounds, use a sharp cutter rather than twisting the cutter into the dough. This helps ensure that your scones rise evenly and don’t end up lopsided or misshapen.
By following these tips, you’ll be well on your way to making delicious Seriously Strong Scottish Cheese Scones every time.
Before we wrap things up, let’s address some frequently asked questions about this Seriously Strong Scottish Cheese Scones recipe. Whether you’re wondering about substitutions or storage, these FAQs will help ensure that your cheese scones come out perfectly every time. So let’s dive in!
What is the secret to a good scone?
As a British cuisine chef, I have learned several tips to ensure a perfect batch of scones. To achieve the best possible rise, I suggest using cold butter or even frozen butter. Overmixing the dough can lead to tough scones, so instead of mixing too much, only mix the dough until it has just come together. For a light and fluffy texture, it is recommended to use pastry flour. If you want your scones to be perfect in terms of shape, then it’s best to chill them before baking.
What is the secret to moist scones?
When preparing scones, increasing the amount of milk can serve as a quick fix if a moister texture is desired. Another common way to enhance moisture is by incorporating buttermilk into the recipe.
How do you make Paul Hollywood cheese scones?
For this recipe, we’ll need some key ingredients. Start with 250g of strong white bread flour, a ½ tsp of fine salt, and 25g of baking powder. Add 40g of butter that has been cut into pieces, one medium free-range egg, and 110ml of whole milk. Finish it off with 150g of mature cheddar that’s been grated to perfection.
How do the Scottish eat their scones?
Scones hold a different place in the culinary culture of Scotland than England. While the English primarily consume them during teatime, the Scots relish them throughout the day. Whether it’s paired with midmorning coffee, soup and salad at lunch, or afternoon tea, scones are a versatile culinary staple in Scotland. In fact, they are even enjoyed with a glass of wine at cocktail hour.
In conclusion, seriously strong Scottish cheese scones recipe is a must-try for all cheese lovers. With the perfect combination of savory and fluffy texture, these scones are guaranteed to satisfy your taste buds. Whether you crave something simple or complex, this recipe is versatile enough to create variations and substitutions to meet your preferences.
The blend of ingredients used in this recipe creates an exceptional flavor that makes it stand out from other scone recipes. With its unique combination of cayenne pepper, mustard powder, salt, cheddar cheese, and butter cut into self-raising flour, these scones are sure to ignite an explosion of flavors in your mouth.
Finally, don’t forget to pair them with a suitable beverage such as tea or coffee. You could also serve them with soup or salad for quick meals on those busy days. Make extras to indulge in as snacks too, they’re just too good to resist!
So go ahead and give this recipe a try by following the easy-to-follow steps provided. Trust me; you’ll thank yourself later on for trying out these classic cheese scones that are packed with a unique Scottish twist!
Seriously Strong Scottish Cheese Scones Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 1 ounce salted butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 4 ounces mull of kintyre cheese or 4 ounces scottish seriously strong cheddar cheese
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Mix the flour, salt and pepper together.
- Massage in the butter and then slowly mix in the grated cheese.
- Beat the egg and add in the milk; add mixture to the dry ingredients to create a soft, elastic dough.
- Roll out the mixture on a lightly floured surface. Cut into round shapes and place on a well greased tray.
- Brush the top with milk and sprinkle a little extra cheese and pepper on top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven in the center at 400 until golden brown.
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Brian is a British chef cum food blogger who has been in the kitchen since he was a young lad. Growing up in Manchester, he developed a passion for cooking and a keen eye for the perfect dish. He now runs his own blog and YouTube channel, which is dedicated to sharing his passion for food with the world.