As a lover of British cuisine, I am excited to share with you my blueberry English scones recipe. Scones are a staple in British afternoon tea and are enjoyed by people all over the world for their lightness and simplicity. My recipe puts a twist on the classic scone by adding fresh blueberries for a burst of fruity sweetness in every bite. The combination of tender scone dough and juicy blueberries creates a delightful delicacy that is perfect for breakfast or tea time.
As a chef, I understand how intimidating it can be to try new things, but I assure you that this recipe is easy to follow with simple ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry. These scones are perfect for anyone looking to impress their guests, or just wanting to indulge in a delicious treat. Whether you’re an experienced home chef or new to baking, this recipe is sure to become one of your favorites.
So, let’s grab our aprons and get ready to make some amazing blueberry English scones!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
I am so excited to share with you my recipe for Blueberry English Scones. This easy blueberry scones recipe is my own take on the classic British scones – it’s sweet, buttery, and features fresh blueberries for a burst of flavor in every bite.
Why will you love this recipe? Firstly, it’s easy to make! If you’re a home chef looking for a tasty and impressive brunch idea, these blueberry scones are the perfect choice. Plus, it freezes well so you can make double the batch and store them in the freezer for later.
Secondly, this recipe ingredients 2 cups of fresh blueberries! Fresh is best when it comes to fruit scones, and this recipe has plenty of juicy berries throughout each scone.
And if that isn’t enough reason to convince you to try this recipe, then how about the way it pairs perfectly with clotted cream and jam? My favorite way to enjoy these scones is topped with a dollop of clotted cream and a generous spoonful of fruit jam. Trust me, your taste buds will thank you.
So why not treat yourself and your loved ones with the delight of freshly baked Blueberry English Scones? It’s a classic dessert item that is perfect for any occasion. Don’t miss out on this delicious opportunity!
Blueberry English Scones Recipe Ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 2/3 cup milk
In this easy Blueberry English Scones recipe, you’ll need mainly pantry staples that are easily accessible. The 2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 cup granulated sugar form the base of the dough mixture while the 1 tablespoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt add flavor to balance the sweetness. Using cold, unsalted butter will result in a flaky texture while mixing 3/4 cup fresh blueberries to the mixture gives a fruity twist.
I recommend using fresh blueberries for an optimum flavor of the scones. However, dried blueberries can be substituted if they are not in season.
The Recipe How-To
Preparing the Dough
The first step in making this Blueberry English Scones Recipe is to preheat your oven to 400°F (205°C) and prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 2 cups of all-purpose flour, ¼ cup of granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, ½ teaspoon of baking soda, and ½ teaspoon of salt.
Add 6 tablespoons of cold unsalted butter into the dry ingredients mixture. Cut the butter into small pieces using a pastry cutter, knife or rub the pieces into the flour with your fingers until evenly distributed.
Stir in 1 cup of fresh blueberries into the flour mixture.
In a separate bowl, whisk together 1/3 cup of milk and juice from half a lemon. Let it sit for a minute or two to curdle before adding it to the flour mixture.
Mix until just combined. Do not overmix as this will make your scones tough.
Shaping and Baking
Flour your working surface and turn out the dough. Knead gently for no more than 10 seconds until it comes together in a ball. Flatten it into a disk that measures about 8 inches in diameter and cut it into eight triangles.
Place each scone onto your prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops of each scone with some milk or egg wash and sprinkle generously with coarse sugar for extra crunchiness.
Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 15-20 minutes or until golden brown on top and baked through on the inside (insert a toothpick inside the center of one scone to check).
Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for at least five minutes before transferring them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Serve warm with clotted cream and jam, coffee or tea for an authentic British experience.
Enjoy Your Freshly Baked Scones!
Making Blueberry English Scones is easier than you might think. With this recipe, you can enjoy fresh and fluffy homemade scones with perfect texture and flavor any time of the day. Follow the steps carefully to ensure the best results.
Substitutions and Variations
Are you feeling adventurous and want to give your Blueberry English Scones recipe a twist? Here are some substitutions and variations that you can try:
– Lemon Blueberry Scones: Add the zest of one lemon to the dry ingredients, and substitute half of the milk with freshly squeezed lemon juice. This will give your scones a zesty, tangy flavor that complements the sweetness of the blueberries perfectly.
– Whole Wheat Blueberry Scones: Substitute half or all of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour. This will make the scones heartier and healthier, adding a nutty flavor and texture that goes well with the juicy blueberries.
– Berry Mix Scones: Replace the fresh blueberries with your favorite mix of berries, such as raspberries, blackberries, or strawberries. This will make your scones more colorful and even more flavorful, as each type of berry brings its unique taste to the mix.
– Chocolate Chip Scones: Mix in some chocolate chips to your Blueberry English Scone batter for a decadent treat. The combination of sweet blueberries and melty chocolate is simply irresistible!
– Fruit Scones: If you don’t have fresh blueberries, you can use dried fruit instead. Try substituting them with cranberries, apricots, or even raisins for a delightful burst of flavor in every bite.
As a home chef, it’s always fun to experiment with different flavors and textures in your baking. Don’t be afraid to get creative with your Blueberry English Scone recipe – there are endless possibilities when it comes to scone flavors!
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving and pairing these delightful Blueberry English Scones, there are plenty of options to choose from. This classic recipe is perfect for a breakfast treat, brunch, afternoon tea or even served as a dessert.
One of my favorite ways to enjoy these scones is with a dollop of clotted cream and homemade blueberry jam. The creamy clotted cream perfectly balances the tartness of the fresh blueberries and adds an extra layer of decadence to your scone experience.
If you prefer a slightly sweeter option, try pairing your scones with lemon curd or honey. These sweet additions will also help cut through the richness of the buttery scone, making for a well-balanced flavor experience.
For those with a more eclectic taste palette, you can experiment with different flavors such as dried blueberries or chocolate chips instead of fresh blueberries. These scone flavors are perfect for those who want to veer away from the classic British scones and try something new.
When it comes to drinks, tea is the most traditional pairing for scones, but coffee or hot cocoa would be just as delicious. If you’re in the mood for an iced beverage, I recommend trying a fruity iced tea like peach or raspberry.
No matter how you choose to serve your Blueberry English Scones, whether it’s sweet or savory, traditional or eclectic, one thing is for certain: your taste buds will be delighted with these easy and homemade scones.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Darling, there’s no need to worry about making scones fresh every morning with this recipe. You can make them ahead of time and store them for later. To do this, simply follow the instructions to prepare your Blueberry English Scones and let them cool completely once baked. Place the scones in an airtight container or sealable plastic bag and store them at room temperature for up to two days.
If you want to store them longer than that, you can freeze the uncooked dough for up to a month. Just shape the dough into scones, wrap each one in plastic wrap, then freeze them on a baking sheet before transferring them to a sealable plastic bag.
When you’re ready to enjoy your scones, simply preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and place your frozen scones on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush the tops with milk and bake for 25-30 minutes until they’re not only golden brown but cooked through their centres too.
To reheat previously-baked scones, pop them in the oven set at 350°F (175°C) for 10 minutes or until heated through. Alternatively, you can microwave each scone for 20 seconds or until warm. Remember – microwaving will reduce their crunchiness while heating them in the oven will help maintain it.
Voila! Your Blueberry English Scones are deliciously warm and ready for eating all within minutes.
Tips for Perfect Results
When preparing British scones, getting the perfect texture and taste can be a bit tricky. However, with a few helpful tips, you can make delicious Blueberry English scones right in your own kitchen. Here are a few tips that you should keep in mind when making this recipe:
1. Keep butter cold: One of the key ingredients that give scones their flaky texture is butter. It is essential to keep butter cold so it doesn’t melt easily and creates small pockets of steam within the dough during baking, which then causes the dough to puff up as it bakes.
2. Use fresh blueberries: While dried blueberries can work too, using fresh blueberries will give the scones a more vibrant taste and texture. When selecting your blueberries, look for plump ones with a deep blue color.
3. Don’t overwork the dough: Overmixing or kneading the dough will result in tough scones. When adding dry ingredients to wet ingredients, use a spatula or wooden spoon and cut through it to combine everything gently until just mixed.
4. Handle dough carefully: After mixing the dough and cutting out the scone shapes, handle them as little as possible. This prevents the dough from becoming tough when baked.
5. Use a pastry cutter: To ensure your butter is evenly distributed throughout your flour mixture, it’s best to use a pastry blender or cutter to cut cold unsalted butter into your dry ingredients.
6. Adjust baking time based on oven temperature: Scones bake between 375°F and 425°F (191°C-218°C). The baking time may vary depending on what oven temperature you prefer when baking scones; however, always keep an eye on them towards the end of cooking time.
7. Add lemon zest or vanilla extract: If you’re looking to add an extra touch of flavor to your Blueberry English scones, add a tablespoon of fresh lemon zest to the dough or a teaspoon of vanilla extract- both greatly complement the blueberries and sugar in the recipe.
By following these simple tips, you can make delicious Blueberry English scones with ease. Happy baking!
Now that you’re familiar with the recipe and ready to start baking our scrumptious Blueberry English Scones, you might have some questions left in your mind. In this section, I will provide answers to the most frequently asked questions by home chefs when making these scones. So, let’s get started!
What is the secret to making good scones?
Hey there, fellow foodie! If you’re looking to whip up some delicious scones, there are a few key things you need to keep in mind. To start off, consider using cold or even frozen butter for a better rise. Mixing the dough is also an important step, but make sure not to overdo it – simply mix until the dough starts to come together. Lastly, for the lightest scones possible, use pastry flour. Once you’ve shaped your scones, be sure to chill them before baking. These tips will help you create scrumptious, fluffy scones that are sure to impress your guests!
What is the difference between American scones and British scones?
Scones in America are distinctively different from their British counterparts in terms of butter and sugar content. American scones are relatively denser, owing to their significant quantities of butter, and typically contain more sugar. Conversely, British scones do not skimp out on sugar, as they are often served with generous amounts of preserves or jam and butter or clotted cream on top.
What kind of scones do the British eat?
Scones, a baked good popular in Great Britain, are typically made in plain or raisin varieties, and are best served with a smear of clotted cream and a dollop of sweet strawberry jam. These delightful treats are an essential component of British cream tea, the quintessential afternoon tea experience.
Why is cream of tartar used in scones?
Cream of tartar has multiple uses when it comes to cooking and baking. It can be used to ensure that whipped egg whites maintain their structure, as well as prevent sugar from forming crystals. Additionally, it can act as a leavening agent for various baked goods.
In conclusion, this blueberry English scones recipe is sure to impress you and your guests. It’s the perfect treat for a morning tea, brunch or even as an afternoon delight. The recipe is simple and easy to follow, allowing anyone to become a home chef in no time. The addition of fresh blueberries makes the scones juicy and delicious, whereas the buttery and crumbly texture makes them irresistible.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with different scone flavors, such as lemon blueberry or even chocolate chip. You can also substitute ingredients to fit your dietary needs, such as whole wheat or dried blueberries.
Scones are a staple in traditional British cuisine, but it’s not just limited to the Brits. American scones have their own unique twist, but nothing beats the classic British scone served with clotted cream and jam.
So what are you waiting for? Give this blueberry English scones recipe a try and let your taste buds be delighted!
Blueberry English Scones Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F Grease a baking tray or line the baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the blueberries.
- Add the milk and mix to make a smooth dough (you may not need all of the milk). Knead lightly for ten seconds on a lightly floured surface. Roll to about 3/4" thick and either cut into individual scones or cut into wedges.
- Bake for approximately 8-12 minutes.
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Brian is a British chef cum food blogger who has been in the kitchen since he was a young lad. Growing up in Manchester, he developed a passion for cooking and a keen eye for the perfect dish. He now runs his own blog and YouTube channel, which is dedicated to sharing his passion for food with the world.