In the mood for a dense yet fluffy cake that is sure to transport you to a tropical paradise? Look no further than this Toasted Coconut Pound Cake recipe. Whether you’re serving it for a brunch with friends or indulging in a slice as your evening dessert, this cake is the perfect indulgence.
The coconut pound cake is laced with sweetened flaked coconut and toasted coconut bits, giving it an intense and heavenly tropical flavor. The pound cake itself is made richer with buttermilk’s creaminess providing an excellent contrast of textures. This cake is easy to make and a beautiful treat that will make your belly happy!
So preheat your oven, gather your ingredients, and let me guide you through making this delicious bakery-worthy dessert right from the comfort of your own home.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Listen, my dear reader, I know you’re here for a reason. You’re a dessert lover gearing up for a level up in your baking game with something that’s easy, sweet, and delicious. That’s where my Toasted Coconut Pound Cake recipe comes in. Trust me, this recipe is so good it will transport you straight to the tropics.
Let me break it down for you – this pound cake is moist, tender, and bursting with the sweetest flavor of toasted coconut. Every bite is like indulging in a slice of coconut heaven. Plus, it’s perfect for any occasion – you can enjoy it as a dessert after dinner or have it for breakfast with your favorite cup of coffee. It’s versatile like that.
And here’s the kicker – it’s an effortless recipe that anyone can pull off. You don’t have to be an experienced baker or spend hours in the kitchen to make this incredible pound cake happen. All you need are some basic ingredients like flour, sugar, eggs, butter, buttermilk, and sweetened flaked coconut. And let me tell you this – the aroma of freshly toasted coconut filling your kitchen is worth every minute of baking time.
So why will you love this recipe? It’s simple really – because it’s a crowd-pleaser that tastes fantastic and takes minimal effort to prepare. Get ready to wow your family and friends with this heavenly creation at your next gathering. Just be prepared because they’ll be begging for seconds (and maybe even thirds).
Here’s what you will need to create this Toasted Coconut Pound Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the glaze:
- 1 ¼ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons coconut cream
Gathering all the ingredients beforehand can help you breeze through the recipe with ease. Happy baking!
The Recipe How-To
Preheat the Oven
First things first: Preheat your oven to 350°F(177°C). Also, prepare a 10-cup Bundt pan by buttering and flouring or spraying it with baking spray. If you choose to use baking spray, make sure you choose one that has flour in it.
Toasting the Coconut
Toasting coconut is easy and can be done while your oven is preheating. Spread 2 cups of sweetened flaked coconut on a baking sheet, place it in the oven, and bake for 5 to 10 minutes until golden brown. As with all things toasted, keep an eye on the coconut to make sure it doesn’t burn. Allow it to cool before using.
Making the Batter
Step 1: Cream Together Butter and Cream Cheese
With a handheld mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together 1 cup softened butter and 8 ounces softened cream cheese on medium speed until they are smooth and creamy – about 3 minutes.
Step 2: Add Sugar Gradually
Gradually add 2 cups granulated sugar until it’s light and fluffy – around 5 minutes.
Step 3: Add Eggs
Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Then add 1 tsp pure vanilla extract.
Step 4: Sift Dry Ingredients Together
In a separate bowl, sift together 3 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tsp fine salt, and 2 tsp baking powder.
Step 5: Alternate between Adding Dry Ingredients and Buttermilk
Turn your mixer on low speed and start slowly adding the sifted dry ingredients to the cream cheese mixture along with 1 cup buttermilk. Alternate between adding dry ingredients and buttermilk until all ingredients have been added and are thoroughly combined. Be careful not to overmix – only mix until there are no more lumps.
Step 6: Add in Toasted Coconut
Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, fold in the 2 cups of toasted coconut until well blended.
Baking the Cake
Pour the batter into your prepared Bundt pan and smooth it into an even layer. Bake for around 60 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Cooling and Removing from the Pan
Cool the cake for 10 minutes while still in the pan. After 10 minutes, remove from pan onto a wire rack and let cool completely before dusting with confectioners’ sugar.
Substitutions and Variations
There are many ways to customize this toasted coconut pound cake recipe to suit your preferences. Here are a few ideas:
– Gluten-Free: Simply swap out the all-purpose flour for a gluten-free flour blend and add 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum to help with texture.
– Dairy-Free: Use dairy-free butter and sub the buttermilk for a dairy-free milk of your choice (almond, coconut, soy).
– Coconut Milk & Flakes: If you’re a coconut fanatic, swap out the buttermilk for coconut milk, and add 1/2 cup of sweetened shredded coconut to the batter. You could also sprinkle some extra shredded coconut on top before baking for extra crunch.
– Cream Cheese Frosting: Top off your toasted coconut pound cake with a creamy cream cheese frosting. Beat together 8 oz softened cream cheese, 1/2 cup softened butter, 3 cups confectioners’ sugar, and 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract until smooth and fluffy.
– Coconut Tres Leches Pound Cake: For a decadent twist on this recipe, poke holes in your freshly-baked pound cake with a fork or skewer. Mix together 1 can of evaporated milk, 1 can of sweetened condensed milk, 1 can of coconut milk, and 2 teaspoons of coconut extract. Slowly pour over the cake allowing it to soak in. Top it off with whipped cream or more toasted coconut flakes.
Whatever variation you choose, don’t be afraid to get creative! This recipe is easy to adapt and customize to make it into the perfect sweet bread for any occasion.
Serving and Pairing
Once you have made this exquisite toasted coconut pound cake, it’s time to serve and enjoy it. You can serve it plain or with a dusting of confectioners’ sugar on top, but there are many ways to take it to the next level.
One way to serve this cake is with some whipped cream and fresh berries on the side, which will enhance its natural sweetness, providing a delightful combination of flavors.
Another excellent pairing option is homemade ice cream. The richness of the buttery and soft pound cake will balance perfectly with the cool temperature and silkiness of the ice cream. Chocolate, vanilla or coconut ice cream will surely win over your guests’ heart.
If you’re looking for something more indulgent, try using this toasted coconut pound cake as a base for your trifle recipe! Layer slices of cake with coconut pudding, whipped cream, and tropical fruit for an exotic mea-ready dessert.
When serving guests who are gluten-free or do not eat wheat products, you can substitute all-purpose flour with gluten-free purpose flour to create a mouthwatering gluten-free toasted coconut cake.
No matter how you choose to pair it up, the deliciously sweet pound cake will quickly become a family favorite at morning coffee breaks or fancy dinner parties!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Now, let’s talk about how to make-ahead, store, and reheat your delectable toasted coconut pound cake. This cake is perfect for preparing ahead if you’re on a tight schedule or having guests over.
To store it at room temperature, wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and keep it in an airtight container for up to three days. If you want to extend its shelf life, refrigerate it for up to a week by covering it with cling wrap or storing it in an airtight container.
If you want to freeze your pound cake, be sure it has completely cooled down to room temperature first. Leave the coconut flakes off until later. Then wrap in plastic wrap and add another layer of foil. Freeze for up to three months.
To reheat a slice of frozen pound cake, take it out of the freezer to thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes. Then preheat the oven to 350°F and place the slice on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until warmed through.
For a quicker option, you can use your microwave. Remove your slice from its wrapping and put it directly onto a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for five seconds per slice incrementally up to 30 seconds. Please ensure that the center of the cake is warm before you finish. Serve with some additional honey toasted coconut flakes and whipped cream dollops.
Overall, this recipe is perfect for serving as an indulgent breakfast treat or an irresistible dessert. With these make-ahead, storing, and reheating tips, you will undoubtedly be able to savor every bite of this delicious toasted coconut pound cake even after several days or weeks have passed since baking them!
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you have the recipe and ingredient list in hand, it’s time to work on perfecting your technique! Here are a few tips to help ensure your Toasted Coconut Pound Cake comes out delicious every time:
1. Toast the Coconut Just Right: Toasted coconut is a key ingredient in this recipe, but it can be easy to burn if you’re not careful. To avoid turning your flakes into charcoal, preheat the oven to 350°F and spread the shredded coconut in an even layer on a baking pan. Bake for 5-10 minutes, checking frequently and stirring occasionally, until the coconut is lightly browned and fragrant.
2. Soften the Butter Correctly: The butter in this pound cake needs to be softened, but not melted. Leave it at room temperature for at least an hour before starting to ensure it reaches the perfect consistency.
3. Measure Flour Correctly: When measuring flour, never pack it down! Instead, spoon the flour into your measuring cup until it’s slightly overfilled, then level it off with a knife or spatula.
4. Use Real Buttermilk: Don’t substitute regular milk for buttermilk in this recipe – it won’t provide the same tangy flavor or tender texture. If you don’t have any buttermilk on hand, try making your own by adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to 1 cup of milk and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes.
5. Don’t Overmix the Batter: Overmixing can make cakes tough and dry. Add each ingredient only as much as necessary and mix just until blended.
6. Use Good-Quality Ingredients: Using good-quality ingredients will make all the difference in the final product. Choose unsalted butter for its clean flavor, and high-quality vanilla extract for a rich taste that really shines through.
By following these tips, you’ll set yourself up for cake success every time. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different variations and toppings, like a drizzle of coconut milk or slather of cream cheese frosting. With a little practice, your Toasted Coconut Pound Cake will soon become the star of any dessert spread!
In conclusion, this Toasted Coconut Pound Cake recipe is the perfect choice for anyone who loves a sweet and delicious cake. It’s easy to make, and the toasted coconut adds an extra layer of flavor that will satisfy your sweet tooth. Whether you’re serving it for dessert, brunch or breakfast, this pound cake is always a hit with everyone. Plus, with all the variations and substitutions that you can make, you’ll never get bored of having the same thing twice. So why not give it a try? With this recipe in hand, you’ll be able to make a show-stopping coconut pound cake that will impress everyone who tries it.
Toasted Coconut Pound Cake Recipe
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk, divided
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk, divided
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut, toasted, divided
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a loaf pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl with paddle attachment, beat butter and granulated sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy, scraping down bowl as needed.
- Add vanilla, then eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping down bowl.
- With mixer on low, add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with two 1/2-cup additions buttermilk, and beat until combined.
- With a rubber spatula, fold in 1 1/4 cups coconut.
- Transfer batter to pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 60 minutes.
- Let cool in pan the remove cake from pan and let cool completely on rack.
- Whisk together confectioners' sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk. Drizzle over cake and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup coconut.
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Brian is a British chef cum food blogger who has been in the kitchen since he was a young lad. Growing up in Manchester, he developed a passion for cooking and a keen eye for the perfect dish. He now runs his own blog and YouTube channel, which is dedicated to sharing his passion for food with the world.