Listen up, food lovers! This is a recipe for the ages. A classic that will never go out of style – a Rum Pound Cake. I have spent years perfecting this recipe and let me tell you, it is worth the wait. With its moist texture, rich flavor, and hint of rum, this cake is sure to impress anyone who takes a bite.
Let’s face it; we all need an easy, go-to recipe in our arsenal that can be whipped up for any occasion. Well, look no further because this recipe will become your new secret weapon. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party, baking for a birthday, or just craving something sweet, this cake will hit the spot.
This recipe is easy to follow and can be made with ingredients that are probably already sitting in your pantry. So put on your apron and let’s get started! Get ready to become the next Betty Crocker with this scrumptious Rum Pound Cake recipe.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Do you love the taste of moist and delicious cake with a hint of rum? Then this rum pound cake recipe is perfect for you! Not only is it easy to make, but it’s packed with enough rum flavor to remind you of the Caribbean islands.
This recipe uses both light and dark rum to create a rich and complex flavor profile that will absolutely delight your taste buds. The instant vanilla pudding mix, which is an unusual ingredient for cakes, adds moisture and texture to the cake, making every bite incredibly soft and tender.
The buttery essence combined with the sweetness from granulated sugar creates a perfect balance of flavors in each slice of this rum pound cake. Trust us; you won’t stop at one slice!
Plus, with simple ingredients like cake mix, instant pudding mix, sour cream, and eggs, this recipe can be quickly made by anyone without breaking a sweat. It’s one of those recipes that hits all the right spots – it’s easy-to-make, requires minimal prep time, and results in a cake that tastes fantastic.
So try out our best rum pound cake recipe today, and treat yourself to a delicious dessert that takes your taste buds on a trip to the Caribbean!
Here’s a rundown of what you’ll need to achieve this delicious Rum Pound Cake Recipe:
- 1 (15-25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding mix (4 servings)
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup water
- 1/2 cup light rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Butter Rum Glaze Ingredients
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup light rum
Rum Soak Ingredients (optional)
- 3/4 cups water
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark rum
Optional Mix-ins and Toppings:
- Cup of dark rum for soaking the pound cake after it’s done baking.
- Different types of rum can be used, such as spiced rum, orange rum, pineapple rum, coconut rum, Bacardi Rum, Jamaican Rum, Tortuga Rum, Kraken Rum and many more.
- Top with whipped cream, chopped nuts or sprinkle confectioners’ sugar over it.
The Recipe How-To
Here’s how to make this delicious rum pound cake:
Prep the Oven
Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C). Butter and flour a 10-inch (25cm) tube pan.
Combine dry ingredients
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the 2 cups (250g) of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder and ½ teaspoon of salt. Set aside.
Cream the butter mixture
Using an electric mixer, beat 1 cup (226g) of unsalted butter and 1 ¼ cup (285g) granulated sugar together until light and fluffy. This usually takes around 6-7 minutes on medium-high speed.
Add the eggs
Add in 4 large eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add in dry ingredients alternately with rum mixture
Now add in the flour mixture alternating with the rum mixture. Begin and end with the flour mixture. We recommend dividing each mixture into three parts, adding it slowly to ensure that everything is properly combined.
For the rum mixture, mix ½ cup (120ml) light rum with ½ cup (120ml) water.
Mix in pudding mix & sour cream
Gently stir in a box of instant vanilla pudding mix (3.4 oz/96g), ¾ cups (175ml) sour cream, and ¼ cup (60ml) of canola oil.
Bake the cake
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for approximately 75 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. This cake is quite dense so you may need to give it a bit longer depending on your oven.
Once cooked, remove from oven and place on cooling rack for about 15-20 minutes then invert cake onto serving dish to cool completely.
Serve and enjoy!
Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and a cup of coffee or tea. You can also sprinkle some powdered sugar on top of the cake for added sweetness.
Note: You can also brush the top of the cake with additional rum (or a flavored rum like pineapple or coconut) to add more depth and flavor to this delicious rum pound cake.
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to making delicious Rum Pound Cake, there are plenty of ways to get creative and switch things up. Here are some substitutions and variations for this classic recipe:
1. Liquor: While the recipe calls for light rum and dark rum, you can swap in different types of alcohol to add unique flavors to your cake. For example, substitute coconut rum or pineapple rum for a tropical twist, spiced rum for a little kick, or even orange rum or Jamaican rum for a citrusy note.
2. Cake Mix: If you’re short on time, you can use a boxed yellow cake mix as the base instead of making the cake batter from scratch. Just follow the instructions on the package and add in the instant vanilla pudding mix, eggs, and liquor as directed in the recipe.
3. Flour: If you prefer a lighter texture, you can substitute some of the all-purpose flour with cake flour. For every cup of all-purpose flour called for, use 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons of cake flour.
4. Pudding Mix: To switch things up even more, try using different flavors of instant pudding mix. Chocolate or vanilla can add depth to the cake’s flavor profile and complement the rum nicely.
5. Glaze: The recipe calls for a butter rum glaze, but you can switch that up too! Try making a Tortuga Rum glaze by mixing ½ cup of powdered sugar with ¼ cup of Tortuga Rum and drizzling it over the top of your cake once it’s cooled. Alternatively, make a simple syrup by boiling equal parts water and granulated sugar until dissolved, then adding some Kraken Rum or Caribbean rum for extra flavor.
Overall, don’t be afraid to play around with this easy Rum Pound Cake recipe! By using different liquors, pudding mixes, flours, or glazes, you can find your own perfect version of this moist and delicious cake.
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving and pairing this delicious rum pound cake recipe, I recommend that you take your time to enjoy it slowly. This tasty treat deserves a place at the dinner table, and I suggest that you serve it as the centerpiece during festive occasions like birthdays, weddings, or other special events.
One brilliant way to pair your cake is by creating a custom-made icing blend with your favorite Rum brands. You could try using Bacardi Rum or Tortuga Rum for their rich flavors, which can complement the sweetness of the cake perfectly.
If you want to go beyond the classic pairing of cake and icing, why not try pairing a slice of this moist rum cake with some fresh whipped cream and seasonal fruit like strawberries or raspberries? The combination of flavors is nothing short of divine.
This easy rum pound cake recipe can also be enjoyed in the mornings or evenings with a smoky cup of coffee. It’s a delicious choice for those who want something sweet with their coffee.
Finally, this rum cake recipe can easily be transformed into an elegant pineapple rum cake by simply swapping out the dark rum for some pineapple rum. If you’re feeling more adventurous, you could also use coconut rum for a lovely exotic twist.
The possibilities are endless with this moist and delicious rum pound cake recipe. Enjoy it at any time of day or night, and always remember to savor each bite.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
The best thing about this Rum Pound Cake recipe is that you can make it ahead of time and keep it stored for a long time. It’s perfect for busy people who love to have something sweet and moist on their plate.
To prepare the cake ahead of time, you can bake it days before you plan to serve it, at least 2-3 days in advance. Using an airtight container, store it in the fridge to maintain its freshness. This will also allow the cake to mature and absorb all the flavors of the rum, making it even more delicious.
When you’re ready to serve, take the cake out of the fridge at least 2-3 hours before so that it attains room temperature. Then, you can sprinkle some icing sugar over your cake to make it look nicer.
Storing this Rum Pound Cake is also a breeze. For a longer shelf life, wrap it with cling film or aluminum foil and store it in the freezer. The high sugar content in the recipe keeps moisture locked in, so freezer burn isn’t a concern.
Reheating this cake is not recommended as it’s already moist and flavorful straight from your storage container. However, if you must reheat, simply pop a slice into your microwave for 15-20 seconds at a low temperature or place it in your oven at 180 degrees Celsius for about five minutes.
Now that you know how simple storing and reheating this cake recipe is, why not make extra batches and stock up? You will thank yourself later when you have this scrumptious dessert on hand whenever you want!
Tips for Perfect Results
If you want to level up your baking skills and make the best rum pound cake that exceeds everyone’s expectations, here are my top tips for ensuring perfect results every time:
1. Measure ingredients accurately: Baking is a science, so it’s essential to measure your ingredients as precisely as possible. Use measuring cups and spoons instead of eyeballing the measurement.
2. Room temperature ingredients: Ingredients like eggs and butter should be at room temperature before you start baking. This will give the cake a better texture and help all ingredients combine evenly.
3. Don’t overmix the batter: Overmixing can result in a tough cake, so mix the batter until everything is well combined and no flour lumps remain.
4. Use high-quality ingredients: The quality of your ingredients can significantly affect the taste and texture of your cake, so use premium quality butter, flour, eggs, sugar, and of course, the best rum you can find.
5. Add sour cream: Sour cream adds extra moisture to the cake and provides a tangy flavor that balances out the sweetness of the cake.
6. Soak the cake with rum glaze: To ensure maximum rum flavor throughout the cake, using a rum glaze can imbibe moistness to the recipe creating an irresistible texture and taste you wouldn’t want to miss!
7. Serve it chilled: Refrigerating the rum pound cake overnight allows all flavors to blend together beautifully and makes for an especially delicious dessert.
Follow these tips confidently to get tender, moist Rum Pound Cake perfection every single time!
Before we get to the conclusion, let’s address some of the most frequently asked questions about this delicious rum pound cake recipe.
What kind of rum is best for rum cake?
We have a broad range of rums available, each with its unique flavor profile and characteristics. From the rich and smooth Bacardi Gold to the bold and complex Smith & Cross Rum, there is something for everyone. Other options include Cruzan Single Barrel Rum, Bacardi Black, Captain Morgan Spiced Rum, Myers’s Original Dark Rum, Malibu Coconut Rum, and Pusser’s Navy Rum. Each of these rums brings its distinct flavor and can be used in a variety of cocktails or recipes.
Does rum cook off in a rum cake?
Rum cake and its accompanying sauce commonly use rum as an ingredient. While a significant portion of the alcohol evaporates during baking and heating, not all of it is eliminated. However, it is still viable to serve rum cake to individuals who may be sensitive to alcohol as the amount remaining after cooking is quite minimal.
What is Elvis Presley pound cake?
As per the Sterns, pound cake held special significance for Elvis Presley as it was his childhood friend Janelle McComb’s specialty. In 1987, on the 10th anniversary of The King’s death, McComb shared her recipe with the Sterns. As per the Sterns, it was a Christmas tradition for McComb to bake two loaves of pound cake every year and gift them to Graceland.
In conclusion, this delicious rum pound cake is one of those recipes that every home cook should have in their collection. Its buttery texture and rich flavor make it an ideal dessert for any occasion. Not only is it easy to make, but it can also be customized to your liking by trying out variations of the recipe with different flavors of rum or cake mix.
Whether you are looking for a dessert to impress guests, or just craving something sweet, this recipe is sure to satisfy your taste buds. The moist and tender crumb of the cake, combined with the delightful aroma of rum, will leave you wanting more.
So don’t hesitate to give this recipe a try! Experiment with substituting different ingredients and come up with your own unique twist on this classic treat. With its simplicity and versatility, it is no wonder that rum pound cake is a favorite among dessert lovers everywhere. Don’t settle for less when you can have the best rum cake possible.
Delicious Rum Pound Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 4 eggs
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) box duncan hines butter golden cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) instant vanilla pudding
- 1/2 cup light rum
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup light rum
- 1/4 cup water
- Grease Bundt pan, sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- in large bowl beat eggs well; add cake mix, pudding mix, rum, water, canola oil. Beat at high speed for two minutes. Pour over the nuts in Bundt pan.
- Bake at 325 for 50 minutes.
- tyen off oven and keep cake in oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove cake, and pour the hot glaze over cake.
- Cool in pan 30-49 minutes.
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Brian is a British chef cum food blogger who has been in the kitchen since he was a young lad. Growing up in Manchester, he developed a passion for cooking and a keen eye for the perfect dish. He now runs his own blog and YouTube channel, which is dedicated to sharing his passion for food with the world.